Mobile Data Collection Training Course
Mobile Data Collection Training Course
Field data collection usually involves much paper work. By using an Android smartphone or an Android tablet, field data can be collected with all the advantages that electronic data gathering brings (value input control, skip logics).
Data is gathered in situ with the data records stored on the device. Once the enumerator is within range of a Local Area Connection, Wi-Fi or mobile phone data connection, he/she can send the data to a central server.
Data capture includes GPS coordinates for real-time mapping of responses in Google Maps, or near-real time once the surveyor has an internet connection to send the collected forms back to the server. Linking data to spatial location aims at improving decision making.
The course covers the steps to develop applications and its delivery is through slides, hands-on computer exercises, demos, hands-on tablet/phone exercises and use of other PC applications
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The course is designed for representatives from government, project teams, NGOs, multi and bilateral development organizations, consultancies, etc., that are typically employed as project managers and directors, GIS experts,M&E specialists, technical specialists, and researchers.
- To enable the individual to create X-forms compliant questionnaire using three different applications which will include skip logic, graphical questions, and cascading select question types, single and multiple selections, calculations, multiple languages, media and geo-location input.
- To enable participant to install and manage a central server on the Windows platform for data aggregation /use one of the free on-line storage services (KoBoToolbox).
- To enable the participant learn how to set the various parameters of the Android application for optimal usage.
- Upon course completion, the participant should be able to:
- Explain the purpose of ODK and KoBoToolbox.
- Utilize each of the tools of ODK and KoBoToolbox set of applications.
- Digitize a questionnaire form using different applications.
- Read and modify and/or debug a form in its XML format.
- Download, use and modify the parameters of ODK collect and Kobo Collect for optimal use.
- Incorporate advanced form features such as picture questions, cascading, repeat groups, multilingualism, calculated variables, photo and sound variables, and graphic annotation.
- Geotag forms for visualizing them over desktop and online maps.
TOPICS TO BE COVERED
1: Introduction to mobile phone data collection and Spreadsheets Refresher.
2: Setting up aggregate server with Google App Engine.
3: Designing & building an XForm.
4: Uploading the form to aggregate & downloading to Android phone for data collection.
5: Setting server preference on android phone.
6: Data collection: Capture field data, Capture GPS coordinates, capture photos, record audio sounds and videos.
7: Submitting completed data to aggregate server
8: Exporting data from ODK aggregate as CSV,kml &JSON
9: Importing CSV file into statistical applications
10: Exporting GPS data for Mapping/Visualizing (google fusion tables, Google maps and QGIS)
The instructor led trainings are delivered using a combined learning approach and comprises of presentations, practical sessions and online tutorials. Our facilitators are seasoned industry experts with years of experience, working as professional and trainers in these fields.
All facilitation and course materials will be offered in English. The participants should be reasonably proficient in English.
Upon successful completion of this training, participants will be issued with Profound Research Services (PRC) certificate certified by the National Industrial Training Authority (NITA).
The training will be held at PRC Training Centre. The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments and lunch.
All participants will additionally cater for travel expenses, visa application(where applicable), insurance among other personal expenses.
ACCOMMODATION AND AIRPORT PICKUP
Accommodation and airport pickup are arranged upon request. For reservations contact the Training Officer.
Mob: +254 74040112
This training can also be customized to suit the needs of your institution upon request. You can have it delivered in our PRC Training Centre or at a convenient location.
Payment should be transferred to PRC account through bank on or before C.O.B. 17th January 2022 .
Please Note: The program content shown here is for guidance purposes only. Our continuous course improvement process may lead to changes in topics and course structure.
|Event Date||01-24-2022 8:00 am|
|Event End Date||01-28-2022 1:00 pm|
|Cut off date||01-17-2022|
|Individual Price||KSH 70,000.00|